Friday, January 1, 2010

OK...I bit!


In case you are wondering about the title, my daughter has her own blog - I read it every day - sometimes even when she doesn't update it! She posted today about her "One Little Word" for the next year. You can read her post here. After reading that post I got to thinking about what word I would choose for this year...I thought about how many - many years ago I stopped making "New Year Resolutions". They were nearly always a failure anyway - and who wants to set themselves up for failure at the beginning of every year? So instead I determined I would set goals for myself every year. This would be goals that were obtainable IF I WORKED ON THEM...of course the same could probably be said for resolutions - but for me it made all the difference in the world.


So as I searched for a goal for this year - and then read Little Wonders - I thought, "why not make goal my word for 2010?" And that is what I have done!


I looked to find out what the word actually meant before I chose it and was surprised to see that the first two definitions really fit what I mean exactly!


1. the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.

2. the terminal result in a race.


How fitting! So my One Little Word for 2010 is goal. I hope to set many and achieve as many of them as I can. Not only in the races that I run, but it my life as I live it. There are so many ways I can see working this word into my daily life - even the smallest thing like setting one daily small goal that I can work toward.


In my own small, little way of thinking - setting the goal and working toward it is what counts...if you do that and do your best then you are a winner - reaching the goal is just the icing on the cake (or the bling at the end of the race!)


My "goal" is to post about this word a little more often here - not only my race goals, but some of my "daily" goals as well....and to look back at the end of the year on how this "One Little Word" that I have chosen today may have had an effect on my life this year.


This is an experiment for me - I am excited to be able to start this on day one of the new year! May you reach ALL your goals this year as well!


No comments:

About Me

My photo
This is about my life. My life as a wife. My life as a mother. My life as a Memaw. My life as a teacher. My life as a runner. My life such as it is.