Sunday, October 12, 2014

Hot Springs In The Rain!

Rain was NOT what we were hoping for this trip... but it is what it is and we decided we weren't going to let a little rain spoil it for us.  We hopped in the car and drove the short distance to Hot Springs to check it out!  

One of the first things we saw after parking the car was a water fountain - with STEAM!  Now I knew we were in Hot Springs - and I knew they had bath houses, but I didn't realize that there were HOT water fountains!  It was quite the surprise...I put my hand in the fountain and it wasn't just warm - it was HOT!  I just wasn't prepared at all for that - but it was nice on this cold, wet, day to warm up my hands in the fountain.


The fountain and flag

We went to the visitor center and talked to the park ranger there and decided we would like to tour one of the bath houses right there on the main street.  We opted to tour the Fordyce Bath House.


This is the Central Men's Bath Hall. 

The Women's Dressing Room.

Looking down the hall of the Music Room to the Men's Lounge.  LOVED the stained glass ceiling!

A writing desk in the Music Room

From the Music Room to the Women's Lounge

After our tour of the Bath House we decided to walk the Grand Promenade.

Some of the open Springs along the Grand Promenade


Icicles on the leaves of one of the trees on the Promenade

Valley of the Vapors in the COLD!


It began to rain about then so we decided to head back inside - we found an aquarium and decided to take a tour. Some of the "friends" from inside.






Finally, since we weren't sure we would make it back into town before the end of our trip we decided to go up the mountain to the observation deck and check that out.  As you can tell from the photos, we couldn't see much because of the cloud cover - but what we could see was beautiful!



By then it was time to head back to camp - but what a lovely day it turned out to be!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This is about my life. My life as a wife. My life as a mother. My life as a Memaw. My life as a teacher. My life as a runner. My life such as it is.